[DRBD-user] slightly different partition sizes

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Dec 16 14:31:37 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:04:11AM +0100, Martin Winkler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a relatively new drbd setup and just realized that there is a
> slight difference in size on the partitions I am using:
> node1: /dev/sda3 (/dev/drbd0): 232717558 blocks, ext3
>        /dev/sdb1 (/dev/drbd1): 232717590 blocks, ext3
>
> node2: /dev/sda3 (/dev/drbd1): 232717558 blocks, ext3
>        /dev/sdb1 (/dev/drbd0): 232717590 blocks, ext3
>
> The metadata is always on a different partition.
> After the sync DRBD did not raise any error as far as I can tell,
> and /proc/drbd says the drives are fully UpToDate.
>
> Now my question: Is this difference significant if drbd did not raise
> any errors? I am feeling a bit uncomfortable here. What should I do to
> make the same sizes in case there is a problem with my setup?

drbd "agrees" to the minimum of the sizes of the lower level devices.
you can check
 cat /proc/partitions
to see what size (in kB) your drbd's actually are.

you can check with tune2fs -l
what size the fs thinks it is.
(multiply "Block count:" and "Block size:", you get the size in Byte)

if the fs thinks it is larger than drbd,
you need to resize (shrink) it.
unmount, stop drbd,
fsck & resize on the lower level device,
start drbd, force a full sync,
go on.

--
: Lars Ellenberg