[DRBD-user] Found a new disk flush error code

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Dec 15 12:49:58 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:32:16AM +0100, Thomas Reinhold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting bazillions of disk flush error messages:
>

>     drbd0: local disk flush failed with status 134217730
>

> Googling the error code did not yield any result. Any idea what this could be?
>

> The system is Debian Etch with DRBD 8.0.13 (etch-backports):
>

>     Linux bftest-54 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 15 10:07:11 UTC 2008 x86_64
>     GNU/Linux
>

> The DRBD device is running on top of a RAID-1 set based on LSI 1078.
>

> I have disabled disk flushing for now, and the error obiously has gone. Since
> we are using an UPS, disabling disk flushing should not be a problem.
> Nevertheless, I would like to know what the error message indicates.

134217730
happens to be
0x8000002

that cannot be an accident?
it smells like a directly propagated scsi_execute_req return value.

to my understanding, lower level drivers should either return "0"
(Success) or some small negative error code (-EOPNOTSUPP, -ENXIO,
-ENODEV, maybe -EIO).
returning 0x8000002 to blkdev_issue_flus is unexpected.

do you have any
  FAILED
  status = %x, message = %02x, host = %d, driver = %02x
in your kernel log prior to that?

--
: Lars Ellenberg