[DRBD-user] Raw devices supported on top of DRBD?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Aug 26 17:48:08 CEST 2008

From: Gusti Gonzalez <gusti99 at integra.com.py>
> Oracle, and presumably other DBMS, can [use] raw devices [to store
> stuff, instead of using files or partitions]. Can these raw devices
> be based on top of DRBD?

A running drbd device looks like a block device.  Orrible or other
DBs can open() that block device with O_DIRECT, which may or may
not minimize caching effects, and may or may not improve
performance.  You'd have to try it and see.  It might work.  Take
a look at "man 2 open" to see what that flag does.  I would
expect performance gains to be minimal, but that's just me.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows