[DRBD-user] List could set Reply-To:

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Tue Aug 19 14:56:50 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 14:44:09 Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Rainer Sokoll <rainer at sokoll.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 04:01:19PM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> >> If possible, it would be nice if lists.linbit.com set the Reply-To:
> >> header to the address of the sending list.
> >
> > http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>
> OK, that's your opinion. Out-dated, and sort of cute, but nonetheless
> your opinion.
> For the author to state, 'saying "All responses should go directly to
> the list anyway." is arrogant', is complete rubbish. In 99% of cases,
> replies *do* go to the list, so why penalize the rest of us?

Well, other than your own posting on that topic the linked page at least gives
some explanations and examples of why he consideres reply-to harmful. And as
someone who has been bitten by this non-obvious behaviour more than one time,
I have to say they are quite convincing.
While pretty much every mailer makes it very easy to reply to the list if one
is so inclined, there are answers that should not go to the list and may even
contain confidential information.

Regards,
Stefan