[DRBD-user] DRBD w/RAID5 - Ubuntu Server

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Sat Aug 9 18:51:45 CEST 2008

On Saturday, 09. August 2008, Henri Cook wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've just configured a 1.8TB DRBD shared device on a pair of machines
> connected to the same fairly standard home router (the documentation is
> _excellent_ by the way!)

I hope that home router at least has Gigabit., though the best connection for
DRBD would be a simple cable without any switch in between.

> The two devices are synchronising now but worryingly very slowly and i'm
> not sure if it's a RAID5 issue or what? Here's an example of /proc/drbd.
> Eventually I want to go for a Primary/Primary setup

Are the RAID devices themselves even synchronized yet? What does
cat /proc/mdstat say?

Also: never put a drbd meta disk on a MD RAID 5. Its painfully slow (and may
be a reason for what you see). RAID 1 should be ok.

Regards,
Stefan