[DRBD-user] IP address not found on this host

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Aug 8 11:00:03 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 01:53:23PM -0600, RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> Hello again all, I am running DRBD behind a router and between two
> remote machines.  I have the machine DMZed for better access but am
> getting errors.  Therefore the address the outside world (as well as
> the other drbd machine) sees is different than what the machine thinks
> it has.  Outside address is 66.144.188.169 and ifconfig returns
> 192.168.1.202

you are aware that DRBD replicates the data in plain text?
if it replicates across the internet,
you basically have a complete raw plaintext dump of your block device
content constantly streaming through the internet.

hopefully you don't have any sensitive data on that volume.

I'd recommend to establish a VPN (openvpn, ipsec, whatever)
between your sites, or even better, and end-to-end VPN between
the DRBD nodes, then use the private addresses again in your
DRBD config, as now they would not be natted at all,
but tunneled via VPN.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :