[DRBD-user] Data loss on drbd 0.7

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Sep 12 12:23:54 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 11:40:36AM +0200, philippe wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have experienced a data loss with drbd with this steps :
>
> 2 nodes with drbd synchronised providing nfsd
>
> node 1 active
>
> node 1 shutdown
>
> node 2 takeover
>
> so far all is ok
>
> node 1 stay down for 3 weeks
>
> node 2 is shutdown

[A]

> node 1 is started
> -> here node 1 become primary with data 3 weeks old.

[B]

> node 2 is started
> -> node 2 become secondary and all current data are overwritted with
> 3 weeks old data.
>

> Is there a way for node 2 to refuse synchronisation with older data ?

no.

the error/mistake happened [A].
you should not go online with outdated data.

with DRBD 8,
at [B] we are able to detect diverging data sets,
bable about "split brain detected" and refuse to connect,
(or do whatever you configured it to do, e.g. automatically throw away
one of the data sets and resync anyways)

still, even if it had refused to connect,
you'd need to then sort out the divergence.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :