[DRBD-user] Re: 8.0.6 Sync problem after updating kernel

Kelly Byrd kbyrd-drbd at memcpy.com
Mon Oct 15 00:54:57 CEST 2007

> But in r/o mode I should not be able to change the data - or? I am
> looking for a solution to have at least a limited access from B to the
> joint filesystem.

Let's say you're  using ext3.
Mouting read-only with ext3 will STILL confuse the ext3 driver on B.
"confuse" could mean panicing B's kernel. The ext3 driver (and xfs, jfs,
and all the others) have the assumption that they are the only thing
touching the underlying block device. As a simple example, when a file
is created on A, a new inode is allocated. How is the ext3 code on B
supposed to know about that new inode? The ext3 driver on A isn't written
to share this information, why should it? It rightfully assumes it is
the only thing touching the underlying block device.