[DRBD-user] Re: 8.0.6 Sync problem after updating kernel

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Oct 12 21:25:16 CEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 08:56:39PM +0200, Peter P GMX wrote:
> I am using ext3 filesystem on top of drbd - on top of lvm2 - on top of
> raid 1 hard disks.
>
> "what exactly do you mean by "detach"?"
> I checked it again to be more precise. When I change data on machine A I
> have to unmount the drbd volume on machine B and then mount it again in
> order to refelect the changes.
>
> The strange thing is that drbd tells me that everything is in sync, but in
> fact the filesystem isn't unless I mount and unmount.

to use any one file system
on more than one node at the same time,
you need to use a network sharing file system (nfs, samba, etc.)
or a cluster aware file system (GFS, OCFS, etc.).

if you use ext3/reiserfs/xfs/ any "conventional" file system
on drbd in "allow-two-primaries", concurrently accessing it
from both nodes at the same time,
it will not work.
no, not even read-only.
it may crash your machines,
and it definetly will scramble your data.

this is mentioned in the example config file,
in the manpages, and in several other places.

repeat.

  ## you currently are actively scrambling your data. ##
  ## you currently are actively scrambling your data. ##
  ## you currently are actively scrambling your data. ##

happy cleaning up.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-55 :