[DRBD-user] Preventing initial full sync on new install

Christophe Boyanique tof+drbd at raceme.org
Thu Nov 22 18:00:32 CET 2007

Hello,

I will have to convert a cluster from external bay sharing to DRBD
duplication and the main concern of the client is to reduce the outage
as services are in production.

The documentation states:

You choose which node shall become Primary for the first time (the one
with the good data, if you have some), then you do drbdadm --
--overwrite-data-of-peer primary all. The result is a full
synchronization of the underlying devices (we call this the initial full
sync).
The device is usable right away, so if you have no file system already,
you should create one now.

My question is; will the device be usable right away during the initial
full sync or will it be blocked ?

If the device is not accessible; what is the purpose of this full sync
as, anyway, the device will be formated right away after the full sync ?

Is there a way to avoid this initial full sync or to reduce the duration ?

Christophe.