[DRBD-user] New to the list and a ?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Nov 9 22:25:26 CET 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 12:08:38PM -0500, Benjamin Zachary wrote:
> Thanks Lars, I saw talk of GFS/OCFS2 but actually Im using VMFS (vmware's
> custom FS for ESX), I am able to fail over and boot the images so the data
> and vmfs is being sync'ed correctly. I have no problem with manually setting
> drbd primary just need to add it to my documentation.

just because the snippet of the example config,
that I dared to cite, mentions GFS,
and you don't use GFS,
does not mean that you would have to do "manually"
or by handcrafted additional scripts
what this options is intended for:
 you chose in configuration
 one or both nodes
 to be switched to primary
 by the init script
 right after configuration.

this does not mean that I think it is a good idea.
just that, when you really want to do this,
it is there already,
and you do not have to reinvent it, you can just use it.

 :)

> > Or you throw caution to he wind and right a script that does it at boot
> > in some place like rc.local (after all the other init.d scripts have
> > run).
>
> note that recent drbd has a config option:
> | resource ...
> |    startup {
> |
> |     # In case you are using DRBD for GFS/OCFS2 you want that the
> |     # startup script promotes it to primary. Nodenames are also
> |     # possible instead of "both".
> |     # become-primary-on both;
> |    }

: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :