[DRBD-user] Best practice for starting drbd by OS under drbddisk heartbeat control

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Mon May 14 15:40:24 CEST 2007

> Hi,
> I recently posted the following email on the HA-Linux email list, and
> after considering the topic of the email decided that it is probaly more
>
> appropriate on the DRBD-user list. So here it is:
> > Thanks, and drbddisk seems to be working great through all of my test
> > cases so far. So, how do most people configure the DRBD
> > startup, /etc/rc.d S script or define in inittab? Does it matter?

The way I do it is using the init scripts provided by my distro (Mandriva, in
this case) to start drbd and then start heartbeat.

I don't see a particular benefit to starting said software from /etc/inittab
for a couple of reasons:

1) The drbd init script only needs to run once (as far as I can see) on each
node; if your system can't run a script reliably at boot then you have bigger
things to worry about.

2) If heartbeat crashes, I'd rather know about it so I can analyse why it
crashed, rather than it be respawned automatically by init and potentially
cause more damage.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS