[DRBD-user] how long does drbd device do sync

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu May 10 16:29:06 CEST 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:38:23PM +0100, Mark Watts wrote:

> > >    C: write IO is reported as completed, if we know it has
> > >        reached _both_ local and remote DISK.
> > >
> > >        * for most cases.
> > >
> > > In what circumstances does this not hold to be true (that data is on the
> > > platters of both disks?)
> >
> > 1. misunderstanding:
> > in that post, read the "*" as "this setting is recommended ..."
>
> No, just cut'n'paste from the drbd.conf file :o)

well, yes, which uses it in this meaning.

> > 2.
> > the statement holds not true when you lose connectivity,
> > obviously: if you cannot communicate with the peer,
> > it cannot write your data.
>
> Ah I see. I half expected you to be referring to some kind of rare
> corner-case.

no. I did not refer to anything.
I meant

 protocol C: write IO is reported as completed, if we know it has
     reached _both_ local and remote DISK.
  this setting is neccessary  for critical transactional data.
  this setting is recommended for most cases, anyways.

this is the meaning of those "*" in the drbd.conf file.

we should really cleanup our example config and documentation,
and add a few extra words here and there to clarify explicitly
what we mean...

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :