[DRBD-user] DRBD and heartbeat problems

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at gmail.com
Tue May 8 19:19:54 CEST 2007

I've gotten DRBD working really well on it's own now, understanding it more.

Now I want to add heartbeat (v2) to the equation.

I'm running Suse Linux 10.2 if it matters.

My problem is I can't seem to get heartbeat to mount the drive.

I'm doing a single drive, single partition test for now.

I am only running one server for the heartbeat part (I just want to get it
going locally first).

I can get it to bring up the virtual IP portion, if I only put that in the
haresources, and that works ok.
But if I try DRBD by itself, or with the filesystem configured, it doesn't
work.

part of the problem
it complains about an OCF_KEY_ip being missing,
if I set this to the virtual IP, it fails,
if I set it to something else, it claims the filesystem mount succeeded, but
it hasn't actually done it.

I don't want to use the XML or OCF or clustering features for now.

my haresources looks like

amd 192.168.10.3 drbddisk::r0 Filesystem::/dev/drbd0::/mysql::ext3

manually after booting the system, for DRBD alone I would run:

drbdsetup primary --do-what-I-say
mount /dev/drbd0 /mysql

and that works perfectly.

but heartbeat with our without the drbddisk or just with the
filesystem, whatever combination doesn't work.

the one time it looked like it got it right (but never mounted it), I
checked the drbd status and it changed to
secondary/unknown

note DRBD is running across a secondary ethernet interface (cross-over
cable) using a different set of IP addresses.

The reasoning is this:

I want heartbeat to monitor the PUBLIC (real) interface to detect the
system is down, not the cross-over cable.
using heartbeat to monitor the crossover cable doesn't make sense to
me (the cable could be bad, and the real connection up)
causing all sorts of issues.

i've tried reading the heartbeat/HA documentation on DRBD website and
heartbeat/HA websites, and it just makes my head hurt.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should DRBD not be started up by
the system (boot)?
should the mount be done beforehand (doesn't seem to work) ?
I'm missing something stupid again...

Dan.