[DRBD-user] Constant split brain after reboot

David df at auto123.com
Fri Mar 2 16:47:52 CET 2007

Hi,

My two test servers are having a split-brain problems.   When I reboot
primary of the two servers to simulate a failure, the logs show a the
secondary becoming the primary.  So far so good.  Once the rebooted
server is back up and running, I manually start the drbd and heartbeat
services on it using the /etc/init.d scripts.  This is where the problem
occurs.  The two servers see each other, but register a split brain.
Running "drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect all" on the rebooted
server, now the secondary, causes them to fully re-sync and sort them
selves out but then I'm stuck waiting for a full sync to complete.

I'm trying to understand, why is it that only restarting the master
causes a split brain?  No data is getting written to either server so
there is no difference in content.  Shouldn't the rebooted server become
the secondary and re-sync itself with just the changes?

I've looked at the docs on drbd.org and the linux-ha.org wiki but I'm
not having any luck.

Any and all tips/hints/pointers appreciated.

Setup:
SLES 10
kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-bigsmp
drbd-8.0.0 (compiled from source)