[DRBD-user] drbd primary/primary

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Jun 20 19:04:41 CEST 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 06:16:27PM +0300, Mike Tewner wrote:
> I've noticed that not so many people out there are running drbd
> primary/primary - at least according to the list traffic here.
>
> Now, I'm a newbie at drbd.
>
> we needed a redundant postfix server with apache and mysql - with
> primary/primary
>
> It seems as though the init scripts aren't updated to support
> primary/primary - but I could be wrong
>
> Either way, I make a cludgy fix by adding  "  $DRBDADM primary all  "  to
> the end of the "start)" section in /etc/init.d/drbd . Both machines will now
> become primary on boot. (normal behavior seems to be to become secondary) Of
> course, you'll need the proper configuration ( allow-two-primaries )
> Of course, if you're using heartbeat, you'll have to change the relevant
> files
>
> -BUT-
>
> the proper thing is to add official support for primary/primary in a
> reliable manner (with logic, which I didi't use any of :-) to the
> start/stops script and convince the hearbeat guys to do the same. It would
> be a great project for someone who has time to give back.

we even have a lingering patch to do parts of something like that.

> Lars, just out of pure curiosity - is there support for more than 2
> primaries? I mean, if GFS/OCFS2  is managing locking, what is the limiting
> factor?

there is no support for multiple (n>2) active nodes yet in drbd.
I have a few design concepts.

main problem to solve is how to go about
the reintegration of failed nodes,
or reintegration after cluster partition.

limiting factor is development time

 ;)

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :