[DRBD-user] A simple test

Ryan Steele steele at agora-net.com
Wed Jun 13 16:33:36 CEST 2007

Siim Vahtre wrote:
>> And, just to be clear, all of my other devices (including the drbd
>> data devices) are RAIDed, so you're a bit off the mark by accusing me
>> (even implicitly) of saying "I use DRBD, there is no need for RAID
>> underneath."
>
> Umm... I'm probably missing something but what's the point of RAID then?
>
> If one of the disks crashes (the one where DRBD metadata is on), DRBD
> metadata is gone and you can no longer use the DRBD disk, even though
> the "data" part is using RAID and might be safe.
>
> So what's the point of RAID if your data will be inaccessible anyway?

I'm not arguing the use of RAID on the meta-disk.  I was asking a
question and got an answer from Lars - I agree, after hearing his point,
that RAID1 will be beneficial.  I'm not sure why we're still discussing it?

--
Ryan Steele
Systems Administrator               steele at agora-net.com
AgoraNet, Inc.			    	  (302) 224-2475
314 E. Main Street, Suite 1         (302) 224-2552 (fax)
Newark, DE 19711                    http://www.agora-net.com