[DRBD-user] 'drbdadm connect' panic?

alex at crackpot.org alex at crackpot.org
Wed Jul 18 23:19:02 CEST 2007

My 2 drbd boxen are called 42 and 43.
drbd version: 0.7.16 (api:77/proto:74)

* Today, 42 was primary.
* A co-worker noticed that it was not connected to 43.  (42 =
'st:Primary/Unknown ld:Consistent', 43 = 'st:Secondary/Unknown
ld:Consistent')
* I saw that 43 said 'cs:WFConnection'.  Co-worker did 'drbdadm
connect' on 42, and it kernel paniced.
* 43 took over as primary as it should.
* When 42 was rebooted, it entered Secondary status and performed a
sync of data from 43.  Since the 2 boxes had been disconnected for
several days, the data on 43 was old, and the newer data from 42 was
overwritten.

We're getting backup restores from tape.  We've added better
monitoring to catch when drbd disconnects in the future.

I am writing because up to this point I thought that a 'drbdadm
connect' was a fairly safe command to issue.  Are there circumstances
under which it should not be done, or which may cause a panic as we
saw today?  Would doing 'drbdadm disconnect' before 'drbdadm connect'
have made a difference?

If the 2 boxes disconnect in the future (for network failure or
whatever other reason), what is the safe way to get them talking again?

thank you,
alex