[DRBD-user] GigE vs Bonded NICs

CA Lists lists at creativeanvil.com
Tue Jul 3 20:08:10 CEST 2007

I have 2 storage servers that use DRBD to sync the disks, with an
additional 2 servers that connect via iSCSI and mount an OCFS2
partition. All 4 servers have dual gigabit network cards. Currently, I
have the 2 storage servers connected via a cat6 crossover cable for DRBD
- this is on a private network. The other 2 servers connect to the
storage server through a gigabit switch. Someone recommended bonding all
of the nics on each server and the ports on the switch and running
everything over the same network at 2Gbps, rather than 1. My thought was
that this may degrade the reliability of DRBD by it not having its own
private communication channel. Am I correct? Or is bonding everything
together so that it all can run at 2Gbps a good idea?

Thanks!