[DRBD-user] Re: heartbeat 2.0.8: lockups kerneloops

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sun Feb 25 18:46:26 CET 2007

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> What driver problems did you experience with it? I'm interested in
> knowing possible problem areas before I hit them. One thing I did notice
> is for drivers that use dkms to compile I had to do a couple of tweaks
> to get them to recognize the CentOS kernel version as RHEL4, but they
> were simple sed macro changes.
>
> I tried FC5 for a while, but I couldn't keep up with all the kernel and
> libc updates, so decided for my SAN server to use something more stable.
>
> -Ross

For us having good hardware support is paramount. We are a small
business that cannot afford to have a stockpile of hardware lying
around. When something breaks we need to be able to run down to the
local computer store and buy some replacement hardware, plug it in, and
have it work. For an example, we needed to install gigabit nic cards
because our nightly network backups were beginning to exceed our backup
window and we determined that it was the network that was the
bottleneck. So we went and purchased some gigabit nic cards and
installed them and no matter what driver we told CentOS to load in
/etc/modprobe.conf it just refused to recognize the cards. Now after
about two weeks of posting on the forums we finally found a
recommendation for gigabit nic card to we could go buy that had a driver
that would work with CentOS. But by that time we had already loaded FC6
on the boxes and had everything running with no problem. And this wasn't
the only problem we had had. We had video driver problems and had to
switch the video cards as well as usb problems. It seemed like CentOS
could not work with any of the newer hardware. You had to hunt around in
flea markets and eBay to find hardware that it would support. Nothing
you could buy at the local computer store would work with it. This is
somewhat of a problem with Linux in general though. There needs to be an
effort to add support for newer hardware into existing kernels on an
ongoing basis. Anyway, it just became too much of a headache so we
decided we didn't want to wait for some other similar hardware/driver
problems to appear so we moved over to FC6. Yes, there are a lot of
updates that come down the pipe with FC6 but you don't have to take
them. I wait about a month and then on a test machine I'll accept all
the new updates and test them out on that machine before I update the
production machines. I also check all the forums to see if anyone is
reporting any new problems with recent updates. All in all I would say
that our experience with FC6 has been very good.

Gerry