[DRBD-user] MD Raid-0 over DRBD or DRBD over MD Raid-0

Graham Wood gwood at dragonhold.org
Thu Feb 15 12:01:10 CET 2007

> My original plan was to to create the raid-0 on top of 16 DRBD
> devices so that in the event of a single physical disk failure; only a single
> physical disk, and not the entire 16-drive stripe would have to be rebuilt.
MD is not (as far as I know) cluster aware.

That means that if you create the MD device on one node over the DRBD
device, the other node will see that the MD device is already active
and get a little upset.  You can almost definitely force it to go
active on both nodes, but the metadata would not (as a result) be
consistent.  On a RAID0 stripe this may not be too bad, but I really
wouldn't recommend it.

I'd also be very wary or doing anything with that many drives as a
RAID0 - but I'm paranoid.

Graham