[DRBD-user] MD Raid-0 over DRBD or DRBD over MD Raid-0

Rick Rothstein rickrsr2 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 04:09:58 CET 2007

I am planning to setup an active-active mirror over a 16-drive MD
Raid-0 using DRBD/GFS2.

My original plan was to to create the raid-0 on top of 16 DRBD
devices so that in the event of a single physical disk failure; only a single
physical disk, and not the entire 16-drive stripe would have to be rebuilt.

But then I read a DRBD FAQ at:
www.linux-ha.org/DataRedundancyByDrbd
which says that
"You can stack DRBD on top of md, md on top of DRBD is nonsense, however".

Thanks for any advice on the best way to set things up.

_Rick Rothstein