[DRBD-user] drbd and kernel 2.6.23-rc3

Tom Brown tom at nextstate.net
Sat Aug 25 14:54:55 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 11:13 +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 04:06:43PM -0700, Tom Brown wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We need to use kernel 2.6.23-rc3 to do backups to a usb drive. Earlier kernels
> > were not working. I have not tried 2.6.22 yet. Has anyone tried compiling
> > drbd against 2.6.23-rc3? Here are the errors I get:
>
> you want to do high availability.
We are doing ha, but they want backups done to a usb drive.

> first thing here is to use the most stable operating system,
> system and application software and other (hardware) components.
I am using Debian Etch and the stock kernel.

> so do not. never.
> use "release candidates" or similar in a production environment.
> (unless you know _exactly_ what you are doing, e.g.
> it is the main goal for production to produce bug reports :->).
You are right. I was advised to used rc3 to "fix" the problem. Thanks
for the reality check.

> kernel.org has introduced the "stable/2.6.x.y/" trees
> for that very reason.  don't use a kernel in production
> until it has some version number 2.6.x.y (y > 3 or so).
>
> that said,
> for a testing/staging environment,
> you could try to checkout the
>  svn co http://www.drbd.org/drbd/branches/drbd-8.1
> sources. these are very much in flux,
> as we are trying to prepare them for upstream kernel inclusion,
> and have to heavily modify code to get it in proper shape.
>
> these are not well testet, currently the basic test on that branch
> is "does it compile with all kernels from SLES9 / RHEL3 to
> current kernel.org torvalds.git".
> we may well have screwed it up somewhere in the logic :(.
>
> you will still get some warnings, but it will compile against 2.6.23,
> that is the point of that branch.
>
> let me know how that works out.
> but do not use in production yet.

I am hoping that kernel 2.6.22.5 will do what I need. I am copying a
large file off the usb drive right now. So far, so good. When I get some
time, I will test drbd-8.1 with kernel 2.6.23 (on my test servers of
course ;) ).

Thanks!
Tom