[DRBD-user] drbd and kernel 2.6.23-rc3

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Aug 25 11:13:13 CEST 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 04:06:43PM -0700, Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We need to use kernel 2.6.23-rc3 to do backups to a usb drive. Earlier kernels
> were not working. I have not tried 2.6.22 yet. Has anyone tried compiling
> drbd against 2.6.23-rc3? Here are the errors I get:

you want to do high availability.
first thing here is to use the most stable operating system,
system and application software and other (hardware) components.

so do not. never.
use "release candidates" or similar in a production environment.
(unless you know _exactly_ what you are doing, e.g.
it is the main goal for production to produce bug reports :->).

kernel.org has introduced the "stable/2.6.x.y/" trees
for that very reason.  don't use a kernel in production
until it has some version number 2.6.x.y (y > 3 or so).

that said,
for a testing/staging environment,
you could try to checkout the
 svn co http://www.drbd.org/drbd/branches/drbd-8.1
sources. these are very much in flux,
as we are trying to prepare them for upstream kernel inclusion,
and have to heavily modify code to get it in proper shape.

these are not well testet, currently the basic test on that branch
is "does it compile with all kernels from SLES9 / RHEL3 to
current kernel.org torvalds.git".
we may well have screwed it up somewhere in the logic :(.

you will still get some warnings, but it will compile against 2.6.23,
that is the point of that branch.

let me know how that works out.
but do not use in production yet.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :