[DRBD-user] can not open /dev/drbd2

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Wed Sep 20 23:33:20 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 22:23 +0200, Miklos Balazs wrote:
> Dear DRBD users,
>
> I know that this question has been answered a number of times, but
> none of the answers I have found could solve my problem.
> I am using drbd with 2 volumes, and when I try to add a third one, I
> get the error in the subject (but the mentioned device node exists of
> course). Specifiing a minor_count parameter, or even raising the minor
> count default value in the source, and recompiling the module didn't
> help either.
>
> Software versions:
> drbd: version: 0.7.21 (api:79/proto:74), compiled as module
> the kernel is a debian-patched 2.6.8 kernel.
> The system is an IA64 server, but both the kernel and user space sw are 32 bit.
>
> The exact command & parameters which give this error are:
> drbdsetup /dev/drbd2 disk /dev/vol00/mail internal -1 --on-io-error=panic

Did you make sure to unload and reload the drbd.ko module after changing
the minor-count?

Can we see the output of 'cat /proc/drbd' please? Before adding drbd2,
you should see an entry in /proc/drbd for an unconfigured device:

        0: cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ld:Consistent
        1: cs:Connected st:Primary/Secondary ld:Consistent
        2: cs:Unconfigured

Corey