[DRBD-user] automatically set to primary state

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Sep 12 18:09:03 CEST 2006

/ 2006-09-12 16:29:14 +0200
\ aw at dayznet.org:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently using drbd-0.7.21 in connection with linux-2.6.17.11.
> For now there is only one node at all. The drbd-device has been set up
> and is running fine if I set it to primary manually (drbdadm primary all).
> Everytime the drbd script (/etc/init.d/drbd) start it will set the
> drbd-device to secondary and waits x seconds (degr-wfc-timeout) for the
> second node.
> Is there any chance to bring up the device/node in primary state (as there is
> only one node at all) automatically by drbd?

drbd does _not_ switch itself to primary ever.
it had been doing so in 0.6, because sync direction and state (or role)
have been tightly coupled, and that caused a lot of trouble.
so we are no longer changing the "role" (Priary/Secondary) ourselves ever.
you need to do that with some kind of "cluster manager",
which could be
 * you on the command line, after your tactical monitoring system
   sent you the alert at 2:22 am :)
 * or some init script (don't do that unless you
   have a very good reason for it and you fully understand all the
   consequences for the various error and recovery scenarios),
 * or heartbeat (which most of drbd users do use)
 * or that redhat cluster thingy (we have customers using it)
 * or that lifekeeper thingy (the do have some drbd "plugin",
   or whatever it is called)
 * or all the other projects out there I am not as
   aware of or familiar with...