[DRBD-user] can not open /dev/drbd0: No such device or address

Spangler, Tim Tim_Spangler at ADP.com
Tue Oct 24 22:56:58 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I'm new to DRBD, and already have my clustering software up and running.
I've been working on getting DRBD setup for 3 days solid so far to no avail.
I am attempting to get DRBD running on SLES 9 with DRBD 7.14

Every time I try to start DRBD (with drbdadm up all) I get the following
error - can not open /dev/drbd0: No such device or address.

I've read the Quick start guide, which unfortunately does not cover much of
the drbd.conf configuration.  I've also attempted to use modprobe to adjust
the DRBD install as listed here
http://lists.community.tummy.com/pipermail/linux-ha/2005-April/014386.html
<http://lists.community.tummy.com/pipermail/linux-ha/2005-April/014386.html>
, but have had no luck.

I have also created /dev/drbdX manually as suggested here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/10955
<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/10955> , but also with no
luck.

Here is my drbd.conf file, in case I configured something wrong:

-----begin drbd.conf------

resource app_data {
  protocol C;
  incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60 ; halt
-f";
  startup {
    degr-wfc-timeout 120;    # 2 minutes.
  }
  disk {
    on-io-error   detach;
  }
  net {
    # timeout           60;
    # connect-int       10;
    # ping-int          10;
    # max-buffers     2048;
    # max-epoch-size  2048;
  }
  syncer {
    rate 10M;
    group 1;
    al-extents 257;
  }
  on app4 {
      device    /dev/drbd0;
      disk      /dev/hda5;
      address   10.0.0.2:7788;
      meta-disk internal;
  }
  on app5 {
    device     /dev/drbd0;
    disk       /dev/hda5;
    address    10.0.0.2:7788;
    meta-disk  internal;
   }
}

resource app_product {
  protocol C;
  incon-degr-cmd "echo '!DRBD! pri on incon-degr' | wall ; sleep 60 ; halt
-f";
  startup {
    degr-wfc-timeout  120;  ## 2 minutes.
  }