[DRBD-user] DRBD, EVMS and "Device or resource busy"

Mike Machuidel machuidel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:25:39 CET 2006

Hello,

I am building a HA cluster using DRBD together with ISCSI and some
EVMS LVM2 regions (created with the LVM2 EVMS plugin) on the DRBD
disk.

When I enable the DRBD resource "r0" a DRBD device becomes available
at "/dev/drbd0". Running "drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 down" or "drbdsetup
/dev/drbd0 secondary" works perfectly as it should.

When I again enable the DRBD resource "r0" and then run
"evms_activate" the EVMS LVM2 regions on the DRBD device become
visible in "/dev/evms" under the directory "/dev/evms/lvm2/*". Now
when running "drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 down" or "drbdsetup /dev/drbd0
secondary" I get the following message:

ioctl(,SET_STATE,) failed: Device or resource busy
Someone had opened the device for RW access!

Besides the message nothing happened.
It seems the DRBD resource is in use by the linux kernel as "fuser"
and "lsof" show nothing interesting. Of course I understand this
problem is not really with DRBD. The problem is somewhere with EVMS or
LVM2. I hope someone had similar problems and can help me to solve
this?

Cheers,
Michael