[DRBD-user] [Q] What would cause fsck running on a drbd device to just stop?

Maurice Volaski mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu
Mon May 29 00:39:21 CEST 2006

drbd-0.7.19 under kernel 2.6.17-rc4 is running on a primary node
standalone. There are 8 resources in the same group. fsck.ext3 -fv is
being run simultaneously on all of them. Each of the drbd devices are
running on an lv, which all belong to a single pv. The actual "disk"
is a hardware RAID connected via SCSI (i.e., the mpt driver).

Five of the fsck finished their tasks successfully and reported no
problems. The remaining three got "stuck". There was no activity
either on the physical RAID itself or listed in top. They were just
listed as "D," uninterruptible sleep. Two of the fscks were at the
end, giving the final summary information--no problems---for their
respective filesystems and were stuck at that point. The last one was
stuck in the first pass. Attempts to kill them failed; even kill -9
and attempting to shutdown were ignored. I rebooted manually and ran
the three stuck ones again without a hitch.

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski at aecom.yu.edu