[DRBD-user] Events that cause Standalone mode

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon May 15 15:10:10 CEST 2006

/ 2006-05-15 07:37:20 +0000
\ Aaron Randall:
> Hi All,
>
> Could someone please explain to me the events that can cause a server
> to go standalone while using DRBD?  I have two servers that sync and
> failover normally, but I came back to them last week and both were in
> Standalone mode.  It seems that in the logs there were complaints that
> the network interfaces were going up and down.

* initial handshake
  older 0.7.x may go standalone if the initial handshake does not work
  for whatever reason, more recent drbd 0.7.x (please look at the
  changelog, or the svn log, if we forgot to add it to the changelog)
  should only go standalone when they recognize during initial handshake
  that they speak incomatible dialects.

* configured
  on-disconnect standalone; ... well. you probably don't have that.

* sanity check: prevent data corruption
  when generation counters say currently Primary should become
  SyncTarget, it goes StandAlone.
  when two Primaries connect to each other, they go StandAlone.

maybe some other places I forgot now.
you can always "drbdadm connect all" to get the connection back ...

hth.