[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 10 19:36:40 CEST 2006

/ 2006-05-10 10:22:54 -0700
\ Martin Fick:

> --- Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
>
> > / 2006-05-10 09:50:35 -0700
> > \ Martin Fick:
> > >
> > > Umm, no?  Drbd would know that though right, since
> > it
> > > would find existing metadata on the single server
> > > partition?
> >
> > no.
> > never been drbd there before.
> > never been drbd meta data.
>
> If drbd has never been there, than there is nothing to
> lose right?  At least nothing more than with syncing
> right?
>
> Maybe I don't understand the scenario you are describing?

existing file system /srv on old-sinlge-server:/dev/sdb1.
umount.
configure drbd on top of /dev/sdb1
on old-single-server and new-standby-server.
start drbd for the first time.
initialize in a way to skip sync.
make old-single-server:/dev/drbd0 primary.
mount /dev/drbd0 /srv (instead of /dev/sdb1 before),
use the existing data that is there.
be happy.
work with it.
eventually do a failover.