[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 19:22:54 CEST 2006

--- Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:

> / 2006-05-10 09:50:35 -0700
> \ Martin Fick:
> > > what, if you had an existing single-server setup
> > > with existing data, and you extend it with drbd
> > > form a cluster, so you have existing filesystems
> > > with important data on it?  is it ok to skip the
> > > initial sync there, too?
> >
> > Umm, no?  Drbd would know that though right, since
> it
> > would find existing metadata on the single server
> > partition?
>
> no.
> never been drbd there before.
> never been drbd meta data.

If drbd has never been there, than there is nothing to
lose right?  At least nothing more than with syncing
right?

Maybe I don't understand the scenario you are
describing?  Is the intial single server data already
on a single side drdb partition, or is it on another
non drbd partition?

> drbd8 drbdmeta recognizes some common file system
> formats, and requires confirmation if it thinks you
> do
> something stupid, but thats not bullet proof,
> either.
>
> and it is likely that someone will have a setup
> where
> there appear to have been a file system on both
> nodes
> before, when initializing drbd for the first time.
>
> this all boils down to: something may appear the
> "Right Thing" to do in the setup you consider to be
> the
> "standard way thing are", but the guy next door has
> completely different view about what that "standard"
> typically looks like.

Yes, I suppose there could be things that are not
forseen, I just can't forsee them. :)

> with a fast link, I typically see the drbd initial
> full sync finish slightly faster than dd would.

Now I don't understand that, how is that possible?  Is
it because drbd is running in kernel space?

-Martin