[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed May 10 15:26:30 CEST 2006

/ 2006-05-09 11:06:04 -0700
\ Martin Fick:
> I imagine that this has been discussed before, but
> would it be possible to shortcut inital drbd syncing
> for first time use of a device?
>
> What I mean is that if a device has never had any data
> on it, let's say the partitions were just created,
> allow a startup feature that would not attempt to sync
> the two partitions.  In this case, only newly written
> data to the disks need be synced, so as soon as mkfs
> or what not is run on the primary it would sync over
> the fs layout and continue to operate as normal.  If
> an initial identical state is absoultely required on
> both partitions, why not add a 'zero' option which
> would simply zero out the entire contents of both
> partitions and then assumed synced mode?

yes it is possible.
no we probably won't make it easier.

as experience shows, people are very tempted to shoot themselves, and
would even use that option because it is available and mentioned in some
"howto" thing, even if it is not applicable.
it would initially appear to work ok, then they would do a failover,
complain about fs-corruption and declare that drbd had eaten their data...

do skip the initial sync with drbd 0.7.x, you could use the write_gc.pl
program (in the source tar.gz, testing/) and initialize the meta data
with 'consistent' identical GCs on both nodes.