[DRBD-user] Initializing shortcut

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Tue May 9 20:06:04 CEST 2006

I imagine that this has been discussed before, but
would it be possible to shortcut inital drbd syncing
for first time use of a device?

What I mean is that if a device has never had any data
on it, let's say the partitions were just created,
allow a startup feature that would not attempt to sync
the two partitions.  In this case, only newly written
data to the disks need be synced, so as soon as mkfs
or what not is run on the primary it would sync over
the fs layout and continue to operate as normal.  If
an initial identical state is absoultely required on
both partitions, why not add a 'zero' option which
would simply zero out the entire contents of both
partitions and then assumed synced mode?

This sure would speed up the creation and management
of drbd partitions.

-Martin