[DRBD-user] Kernel panic while syncing

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri May 5 10:56:48 CEST 2006

/ 2006-05-04 11:16:30 +0200
\ JMWorld - Dpto. Técnico:
> Kernel panic
>
> While syncing Primary shows next dump but about a minute before sync starts
> we lost the connection with primary.
> System is running sarge-backports debian kernel 2.6.15 for i686 with SMP
> support but with only one processor.
> Is there any kernel compilation requirement to succesfully run drbd???
> Servers are connected throught vtund tun tunnel with compression level 9
> (zlib) and mtu=1450
>
> People at datacenter tell us that console shows something like:
>
> drdb: sorry ...
> kernel panic
> not syncing:drdb0: Sorry I have no access to good data anymore

> cat /proc/drbd:
> version: 0.7.18 (api:78/proto:74)
> SVN Revision: 2176 build by root at raimunda, 2006-05-03 12:54:34
>  0: cs:SyncTarget st:Primary/Secondary ld:Inconsistent

so you are Primary, but sync target. meaning: your local copy of the
data is bad, and gets overwritten by the good copy from the peer.

> May  4 09:47:33 raimunda kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> May  4 09:47:33 raimunda kernel: eth0: Transmit timeout, status 00000000

then you lose connectivity.

so now you have a primary, without data (the good data is on the peer,
which is no longer reachable).
drbd decides to panic, the assumption beeing:
  either the peer is dead. then there is no data
  anymore, and there is no point in waiting for it.
  or the peer is alive, but the link is dead.
  if we panic, we normally die, all processes die,
  heartbeat on the other node sees that this node is dead,
  and take over.

this is the reason why you should avoid to make a SyncTarget Primary.