[DRBD-user] /dev/drbdx disappearing after a reboot

Monty Taylor mtaylor at mysql.com
Mon Mar 27 20:07:03 CEST 2006

/etc/init.d/drbd start  or modprobe drbd should create the nodes for
you. You just have to be sure drbd starts in the startup sequence before
heartbeat.

I'm assuming if you're using vanilla FC4 then the system is setup with
devfs or udev, which means that those nodes aren't 'real' and rather a
byproduct of the kernel module.

Monty

Richard Andrews wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Before I begin, my platform consists of the following machines:
>
> 2x Dell 2850 running RHFC4 w/vanilla kernel 2.6.15 smp & drbd 0.7
>

> As the subject says, we're losing our drbd devices under /dev after a
> reboot of the system.  This is in turn is affecting the rest of
> heartbeat's processes and ultimately breaking the cluster.
>

> Current fix:
>
> I've manually have to run the following each time a system reboots:
>

> for i in $(seq 0 15) ; do mknod /dev/drbd$i b 147 $i ; done
>
> modprobe drbd; drbdadm up all; dmesg | tail; cat /proc/drbd
>
> drbdadm -- connect all
>
> drbdadm primary all
>
> /etc/init.d/heartbeat restart
>

> Can anyone explain why I'm losing the devices under /dev and suggest a
> way to make those nodes permanent?
>
> /*/Richard Andrews/*/
> Systems Administrator - IT Operations
> Pelmorex Inc. - The Weather Network/MétéoMédia
> Tel: (905) 829-1159 ext.1243
> Fax: (905) 829-5800
> **randrews at pelmorex.com <mailto:randrews at pelmorex.com>**

Monty Taylor, Senior consultant