[DRBD-user] drbd configuration with dual NICs on the DR server

gvsmsk gvsmsk at indiatimes.com
Sun Mar 26 17:45:09 CEST 2006

Dear Sir,
We plan to establish a high availability server cluster with DR. The setup consists of an Active/Passive cluster based on redhat linux with a shared storage at the primary site and a server at the DR site. To establish synchronous replication we plan to use DRBD. To eliminate network latencies and as recommended by DRBD site, we plan to connect each of the servers in the cluster to the DR server by means of cross cables. Each of the servers in the active/passive cluster contains two NICs each while the DR server contains three NIC each. One of the NICs on the cluster servers will be connected to our network switch while the other will be connected to one of the NICs on the DR server with cross cable. In this scenario, can you please clarify the following doubts.
1) Can DRBD be made to listen on two IP addresses at the DR server. So that incase there is a failover at the cluster, replication takes place from the failed over server to the DR server.
2) If the above method does not work, what is the alternative?