[DRBD-user] drbd hanging on file write

Monty Taylor mtaylor at mysql.com
Thu Mar 16 18:16:34 CET 2006

Hi all,

I just set up a drbd replication pair and shipped it to the colo. It was
working great.

Then we upgraded the kernel to 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4smp. I rebuilt the
kernel modules on one machine, rebooted, connected and became primary.
Then I rebooted the other machine into 2.6.15 so I could build its new
modules. While I was waiting for that, I started transferring some data
onto the drbd partition (fs already there, had been working great) by
untarring. It had gone for a little bit when tar hung. I couldn't kill
it. I figured it would timeout. It didn't. Also no errors in
/var/log/messages. The other machine couldn't connect at this point, so
I figured I had hosed something and that I would just start with what
should be a pristine copy of the data on the other machine and make the
bad machine resync.

I power-cycled both machines, made the good machine primary, ran an fsck
on the fs, mounted it. The bad machine connected and started to resync.
It all looked as if it was fine. Yay! So then i realized that I had the
network throttling down way too low (it's a 20G partition) and I needed
to restart the drbd. So I disconnected the secondary. And unmounted the
filesystem on the primary. At least I tried to. The umount failed (I had
modified one file) And now the primary machine is hung again.

So I've rebooted the secondary system back into 2.6.11, and I'm going to
power cycle the primary again. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks!
Monty Taylor
Senior Consultant, MySQL, Inc.