[DRBD-user] Lower Device already mounted error

drbd at bathnetworks.com drbd at bathnetworks.com
Mon Jun 19 17:35:45 CEST 2006

Todd,

Thanks for the reply. My answers are in the text. What I can't understand
is that I did the same on both machines but it is only one that I am
having trouble with.

Rob

> drbd at bathnetworks.com wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Not sure if this got though as I haven't had a reply.
>>
>> I have tried changing disks, deleting the node /dev/hdd on shorty and
>> recreating as well as deleting the partition etc. I have also
>> reinstalled
>> Centos as a desperate measure with the same error. Not sure what to do
>> next apart from throw the machine in the river.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm new to drbd and fairly new to Centos, I am trying to setup a NFS
>>>server using heartbeat.
>>>
>>>I managed to get drbd to work using a simple setup of 2 drives on
>>>different machines, but when I add a further 2 drives I run into this
>>>error on.
>>>
>>>Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 d1 ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed:
>>>Invalid argument
>>>Lower device is already mounted.
>>>
>>>cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/hdd1 internal -1  failed!
>>>

> At this point... lets gather some info, run the following commands:
> mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

> cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda3 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0

> cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw 0 0
none /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0

>   From what you have indicated I expect all of them to match (at least
> with
> respect to /dev/hdd1).
>
> Guesses at what might be going on:
> 1) /dev/hdd1 was created in a way that LVM thinks it should manage the
> partition, so LVM mounts it.
>
> 2) the tool you created the partition with put it in the automount config
> (/etc/auto.*) ???

Neither /etc/auto.master or /etc/auto.misc have anything that is not
commented out.

> Also IIRC with drbd 7.x you should be using drbdadm not drbdsetup (Note
> you
> don't show the command you used, just the error message, which as far as I
> know may have been generated by drbdadm).

I'm using:
rpm -q drbd
drbd-0.7.17-1.c4

I get the error when starting drbd. I am using the rpm from the Centos
repo which provides a kernel module for my kernel. I have also installed
the drbd-heartbeat group rpms.

I am starting drbd with the script:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/drbd start

If I use drbdadm I get:

drbdadm up drbd1
ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid argument
Lower device is already mounted.
Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/hdd1 internal -1' terminated with
exit code 20

>>>As far as I can tell, hdd1 is not mounted, there is no reference to it
>>> in
>>>fstab etc. - It is a new partition that I created just before running
>>> drbd
>>>and it is not listed in response to mount.
>>>

> How did you create it?

Parted.