[DRBD-user] Low.dev. smaller than requested DRBD-dev. size.

Christian Gloor christian at gloor.name
Thu Jun 1 15:12:18 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I just installed two servers with the last version of DRBD and my master
works fine, but when I start the service on the second node, I get the
following message:
Starting DRBD resources:    [ d0 ioctl(,SET_DISK_CONFIG,) failed: Invalid
argument
Low.dev. smaller than requested DRBD-dev. size.

cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/cciss/disc0/part11 internal -1
--on-io-error=detach  failed!

After playing around with the drbdadm commands for a while, it can connect,
but it never gets really clean.
For example, on one node it says it's consistent, but the other node states
it's not...

In fact, I have trouble understanding that "Low.dev. smaller than requested
DRBD-dev. size." as I didn't find it anywhere in the docs or on the net...
If it's a device size difference, shouldn't DRBD automatically adjust to the
lower available size?

Any suggestion would be appreciated,

Christian Gloor