[DRBD-user] Update drbd

Diego Julian Remolina diego.remolina at ibb.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 1 14:05:47 CEST 2006

> 1/ Can I trust this HowTo :
> https://services.ibb.gatech.edu/wiki/index.php/Howto:Updates:DRBD
> Has anyone following it with success or problems ?

I wrote the how to and have used it several times on my RHEL4 machines without problems (This is the
reason why I published it). I am not sure if the latest 0.7.X versions of DRBD work correctly with
2.4 kernels so I cannot certify that (I have only used DRBD on 2.6 kernels), so make sure you double
check that first. I assume that if you are using 0.7.10, then everthing is fine, but being cautious
is always good.

> 2/ Does it matter if both nodes have 2 differents versions of drbd (are
> 0.7.10 and 0.7.19 compatible without losing data) ? Are the data copied
> safely on both nodes ?

As long as the protocol version (this is what the machines use to communicate over the network
connection) is the same it does not matter. That is how I usually do it. Put the latest version on
secondary then failover to it, make sure everything is working, then update the primary. Lars
actually copied and pasted my howto in the HA wiki:

http://linux-ha.org/DRBD/HowTo/Update

> 3/ Some ideas to do this safely ?
This is a safe way to do it. If you want more assurance, check the posting with subject:
[DRBD-user] Upgrading nodes
on the list archives.

Diego