[DRBD-user] Re: Running DRBD on different hardware

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Aug 31 03:05:51 CEST 2006

chipa_luan <seth at viscount.com> writes:

> I've been trying to run DRBD and Heartbeat on two servers with different
> hardrives with undesireable results. Is there anything I should watch out
> for when I configure DRBD on the machines?
> I made sure the shared partition start from the same sector and have the
> same size.

You needn't have bothered: I have run DRBD and heartbeat, quite
successfully, on radically different hardware.

As long as the underlying devices are approximately the same size
everything will "just work."  DRBD doesn't really care, and heartbeat
certainly doesn't.

A performance difference on the local disks, though, will result in
performance equal to the slower of the two disks.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/