[DRBD-user] Drbd hang on write

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Aug 11 21:03:03 CEST 2006

/ 2006-08-11 11:09:30 -0700
\ Tim Johnson:
> So, it looks like the problem lies in some coupling between what the
> file system is doing (rebalancing the tree, perhaps?)  and drbd
> mirroring to the other side.  I guess at this stage, I leave it to
> Philipp Reisner and Hans Reiser to fight out :) .    Any other thoughts
> on this issue?

Reiser
 probably does not care at all.
Reisner
 might be able to help, but is busy doing development work on
 drbd 8 and working for paying customers.

Me
 suggest you see into
 * tuning ext3
   it has lots of tunables,
   and they _do_ make a (sometimes huge) difference
 * xfs
   which also has some tunables, and
   very good overall performance and feature set.
   though it is probably not exactly designed for _small_ files.

I still might be looking into reiserfs on top of drbd out of technical
curiosity (what "strange access pattern" does provoke this).
But don't hold your breath, since I personally dislike reiserfs
(just a matter of taste, no technical reasons to give here).