[DRBD-user] monitor and graph "data transfer rate"

Vampire D vampired at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 23:50:26 CEST 2006

I was looking for something like this, but super easy query or command.
Like Monty said, since it is block level most transactions may not "ramp" up
enough to really show real throughput, but some way of "testing" what the
devices are able to keep up would go a long way for benchmarking, scaling,
sizing, and making sure everything keeps running "up to snuff".

On 8/9/06, Lars Ellenberg <Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:

> / 2006-08-09 10:51:21 -0600
> \ Monty Taylor:
> > I'm thinking what is being sought after is the data transfer rate
> > under normal operation ... (although with each block being transfered
> > synchronously with writes, I'm not sure if that number would actually
> > show useful information, now that I think about it)
>
> we have "ns nr dw dr", which are
> network send, read
> disk write, read
>
> ns may be higher than dw, since it inlcudes resync data blocks.
>
> unit is sectors (512 Byte).
> counters are only reset to zero when drbd is newly initialized,
> so when you (re)configure the drbd network, the network counters are
> reset, when you (re)configure the drbd disk, the disk counters are
> reset.
>
> you can easily "strategically monitor" using e.g. rrd-tools.
> if you equally monitor /proc/diskstats (obviously the lower level
> devices, drbd does not do any statistics there), and rrd-graph the
> results, thats about as good as it gets.
>
> or am I still missing something?
>
> --
> : Lars Ellenberg                                  Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :
> : LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH            Fax +43-1-8178292-82 :
> : Schoenbrunner Str. 244, A-1120 Vienna/Europe   http://www.linbit.com :
> __
> please use the "List-Reply" function of your email client.

"Do the actors on Unsolved Mysteries ever get arrested because they look
just like the criminal they are playing?"

Christopher