[DRBD-user] monitor and graph "data transfer rate"

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Aug 9 21:01:10 CEST 2006

/ 2006-08-09 10:51:21 -0600
\ Monty Taylor:
> I'm thinking what is being sought after is the data transfer rate
> under normal operation ... (although with each block being transfered
> synchronously with writes, I'm not sure if that number would actually
> show useful information, now that I think about it)

we have "ns nr dw dr", which are
 network send, read
 disk write, read

ns may be higher than dw, since it inlcudes resync data blocks.

unit is sectors (512 Byte).
counters are only reset to zero when drbd is newly initialized,
so when you (re)configure the drbd network, the network counters are
reset, when you (re)configure the drbd disk, the disk counters are
reset.

you can easily "strategically monitor" using e.g. rrd-tools.
if you equally monitor /proc/diskstats (obviously the lower level
devices, drbd does not do any statistics there), and rrd-graph the
results, thats about as good as it gets.

or am I still missing something?