[DRBD-user] LVM volumes not persistent after reboot when using /dev/drbd0 as the device

Williams, John John.Williams at bowebellhowell.com
Fri Apr 28 22:12:13 CEST 2006

I have a situation where, after a reboot, the volumes that I created
under LVM2 do not exist. Here is my configuration..

Kernel version 2.6.16.9

LVM version:     2.01.04 (2005-02-09)

Library version: 1.01.04 (2005-08-02)

Driver version:  4.5.0

Drbd version 0.7.17

I created a physical volume on /dev/md2 of my hard drive. I then created
a volume group called rootvg. I then created several logical volumes,
two of which are called drbdpv00 and drbdpv04. In the /dev directory I
have device files drbd0 and drbd4 with a major number of 147.

My drbd.conf looks like this:

resource drbdpv00 {

    # use the synchronous protocol

    protocol C;

    startup {

        wfc-timeout 5;

        degr-wfc-timeout 120;

    }

    syncer {

        rate 20M;

        group 0;

    }

    on node1 {

        device /dev/drbd0;

        disk /dev/rootvg/drbdpv00;

        meta-disk /dev/rootvg/drbdmeta[0];

        address 192.168.0.171:7790;

    }

    on node2 {

        device /dev/drbd0;

        disk /dev/rootvg/drbdpv00;

        meta-disk /dev/rootvg/drbdmeta[0];

        address 192.168.0.172:7790;

    }

This should allow /dev/drbd0 and /dev/drbd4 to use actual disk space for
creating volumes.

Node1 is up and working perfectly. This was an actual working linux
cluster before a botched upgrade on node2, thus I had to rebuild it
after it became unbootable.

On node2 I could not create a physical volume until I unhooked the
crossover cable between the two nodes and made node2 primary. I would
get a read only error. After making node2 primary, I was able to create
the physical volumes on /dev/drbd0 and dev/drbd4 with no problem. I
created volume groups and logical volumes under that physical volume. I
rebooted node2 and when the machine came back up, the physical volumes
were gone. Node2 was back in a secondary state as far as drbd was
concerned, which I did expect. When the machine was rebooting, drbd came
back up fine.

I would appreciate any help you could offer on this, as I am at wits
end.