[DRBD-user] DRBD is syncing extremely slow with slow media

Martin Peylo martinmeis at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 24 19:24:05 CEST 2006

Hi Eugen,

> > I'm trying to use DRBD on *CompactFlash* media. This kind of media is
>
> Current flash is not optimized for write-intensive applications.
> You're risking flash failure, soon.

Well, the CF should survive 300.000 to 1.000.000 cycles - that should be
enough. I'm not going to write often to it, I just want 2 CFs synchonised
when I sometimes write to one.

As I understand there should not be a major increase in writing cycles to
the medium by using drbd. Or do you think there is - e.g. in the area of the
metadata?

> extremely slow on write (~0,17 MB/s) and slow (~3.4 MB/s) on read -
> compared
> > with harddisks. They are formatted with reiserfs - that could explain
> the
> > extremely slow writing speed I got by using cp from ramdisk and
> calculating
> > the rate. But anyhow CF is very slow compared with harddisks.

This might be solved now with my post
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2006-April/004858.html

Warm regards,
Martin