[DRBD-user] make kernel-patch failure with 2.6.13 kernel

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Sun Sep 11 20:30:09 CEST 2005

/ 2005-09-11 11:12:39 -0700
\ prosolutions at gmx.net:

> > your understanding is wrong.
> >
> > why not use a module?
> > why not use a precompiled package?
> > why not build a package yourself,
> > if you really need/want to build it yourself?

[...]
>   It is silly and a waste
> of resources to have to have an entirely seperate machine just for
> compiling packages for sarge when you are already running sid.

I know all that.  I did not suggest that.
you don't answer the question.

I suggest you _build a module_ (that is just the normal make),
and intall that module (the resulting drbd.ko).

if you want, you can put it into your own deb, if not, just take it as
is an copy it to the appropriat locations on you target boxes.

> I wanted to create the kernel-patch and the user space tools seperately
> for obvious reasons because I build the custom kernel for the target
> systems seperately from the user space tools.

why not just build the _module_  ?

> Currently there is something weird about how drbd build the kernel patch
> as it requires more than just pointing it at the source tree of the
> kernel you want to patch against.

it has not been used by anyone since ages.
it is not intended to be used.
I am even tempted to remove that target.
though it probably would be easy to fix.

you should just build the module.

sorry for reiterating that :)

> It is apparently requiring/looking for other things in the system
> environment which the build system uses.  I think it should be able to
> build cleanly using only the target source tree.

you do not want to build the "kernel-patch".

you want to build the module, like all of us do.

the kernel-patch target was just a courtesy of mine
for people insiting on a monolithic kernel for some reason.

you want to build the module.