[DRBD-user] MySQL solution

Jeff Fisher jeff at lfchosting.com
Tue Nov 22 14:03:04 CET 2005

André Moreira wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm a newbie on DRBD. I'd like to know if someone has a solution for
> MySQL cluster using DRBD. And, the answers to questions like what
> happens if the files used by mysql remain locked when the passive take
> action? How to avoid it? Is it possible to load balance?

If you want a master<->master setup, you'll need MySQL cluster. No DRBD
is needed.

If you want a master->many slaves, you can just use MySQL replication.
No DRBD is needed.

If you want a master / stand-by master setup, you can use DRBD to
replicate /var/lib/mysql. Only one machine can ever have /var/lib/mysql
mounted at one time and therefore, only one machine can be the master at
a time. This should work fine.

Jeff