[DRBD-user] SCSI errors when SyncSourcing

Lars Ellenberg Lars.Ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Nov 10 11:30:49 CET 2005

/ 2005-11-10 11:14:27 +0100
\ rixed at happyleptic.org:

> Hi !
>
> Im trying to set up a drbd config involving 2 computers, one with three SCSI
> hard discs, and another with 3 IDE hards disks. Three partitions of same size
> are thus kept in sync with drbd (3 drbd ressources).
>
> Im experiencing strange things during initial synchronisation if the SCSIs are
> the primaries (sync source) : quickly, the SCSI driver output many error
> messages. Eventually, the sync will fail after some tens of minutes (giving a
> kernel panic on both sides).
>
> When I sync the other way round, all go cleanly.
>
> I've checked the SCSI drives both using the controler integrated checks in BIOS
> and by reading them all (cat /dev/sda>/dev/null), and they look OK.  Plus, this
> is not always the same drbd ressources that fails.
>
> I cannot give precisely the SCSI error messages since Im at home at the moment,
> but I suspect them to be misleading anyway.
>
> Any clue where I could find clues ?

on the ide box:
	netcat -l -p 4001 > /dev/null
	netcat -l -p 4002 > /dev/null
	netcat -l -p 4003 > /dev/null

on the scsi box, in parallel (not the trailing &):
	dd if=/dev/sdX1 bs=4k | netcat idebox 4001 &
	dd if=/dev/sdX2 bs=4k | netcat idebox 4002 &
	dd if=/dev/sdX3 bs=4k | netcat idebox 4003 &

obviously while DRBD is _not_ running.

if that triggers similar behaviour, your scsi/dma whatever is broken.